[bt-devel] hyperlinks in display windows

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:51:09 +0200

Hi Joachim,

> At the moment I'm thinking how hyperlinks (e.g. reference to Exodus 2:1 in
> the WEB module) should be implemented and handled.

> Let's use some examples:
> 	We have an open bible window displaying Genesis 1 of the KJV module.
> Strong's numbers are turned on.
> 	Now we display the strong numbers as references (hyperlinks) to a strong
> lexica. How should clicking on this hyperlink be handled?
> 	a) Should everytime a new lexicon window displaying the  strong module be
> opened?

No.

> 	b) Should only the new window be opened if a window with the strong module
> is not open already?

Maybe.

> 	c) or should a winow only be opened if a lexion window is not open? The
> module would be changed from the first lexicon window.

No, this would be confusing.

> Please send e your preferences so I can choose the best solution.
> My dream is, that the text which belongs to the reference is displayed in a
> small tooltip window if the mouse stops over such a hyperlink. IMHO this is
> nice and possible to implement, too.

Yes, it is! The same could be done with footnotes. But the problem is that
there may be entries which are too long for a tooltip, esp. for strongs.
Maybe we should have a config section where users can define their preferred
OT and NT strong's dictionary. When the mouse moves over a word with
strong's, the tooltip will be displayed. When clicking on it, the strong's
dictionary will jump there if it is already open or be opened there if it is
not.
BTW that way would eliminate the need for the "show footnotes" and "show
strong's" button. They can always be displayed.

Martin