[bt-devel] The design of the BackEnd

Torsten Uhlmann bt-devel@crosswire.org
16 Jan 2000 18:15:20 +0100

    > Torsten, I like the design.  Has any body every thought of doing a
    > UML design diagram (or maybe a few) just to get something about
    > the design on paper?  I think it might be helpful to developers
    > who want to join the project or add something to it.  Plus, it'll
    > make sure we're all on the same page as far as development.  I
    > personally am willing to help, but I'm gonna have to get a good
    > idea of what's in the code, how it works, etc.  I don't know if
    > you have seen KUML, but it looks to be a promising UML editor.
    > How familiar is everyone with UML?  We studied it in Software
    > Engineering and I personally like it for design.  I'll see if I
    > can get something like a class diagram drawn up, and if I can,
    > I'll pass it along.

I like the idea. I'm not familiar with UML since it came after I
finished my study :) But I think it's easy to learn. The problem is a
UML programm. I downloaded KUML lately and could not draw any diagrams
in there (compiled for KDE1). Maybe I do something wrong? There is also
Argo UML which is in Java, slow and only supports Java code
generation. And then there is Together which is available as a
whiteboard version but also written in Java which is still pretty slow
on my machine. If you get kuml to work properly or have another prog at
hand I would be glad if we could use something like it.

Yes, and you're welcome to help. Anyway you should not spent to much
time with the current code since we will totally restructure the design.

--

best regards,
Torsten Uhlmann

TUhlmann@gmx.de