mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6383 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Male etienne

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Hebrew Old Testament with Strongs Numbers

My name is Etienne Snyman, and I am a student of Theology, and for this reason I work with the Greek and Hebrew texts themselves. For this reason I do not want to look at the English text, and then work back to the Hebrew/Greek meaning of the word. Instead, I wish to work the Greek text (or Hebrew) and then click on a Strong's number if I get lost.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is only support for Stong's numbers in the Greek, and not in the Hebrew. For this reason, GnomeSword/Xhiphos is useless to me at the moment, and yet expensive programs such as Libronix do not help me at all, because I cannot afford them.

The Sword project is excellent, and I am a great supporter of it. I would love to use it for my academic work, but this inability to use the Old Testament Hebrew with any success is a big problem for me.

If I can help to solve this problem, I would gladly help.

Etienne
[Feb 21, 2009 5:00:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male etienne

Re: Hebrew Old Testament with Strongs Numbers

I found a site which has a Hebrew Old Testament with Strongs numbers:

http://www.thechan.com/component/option,com_d...cat_view/gid,28/Itemid,6/

It is a .zip file, which contains a .bbl file. I know that this is not a format that Xiphos can open, but can it be converted to a Sword Module? It is freely downloadable, so surely this is possible?
[Feb 22, 2009 8:27:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Not knowing the provenance or licensing of this text, there's no way that we could assume we have a right to use it in Sword.
[Feb 24, 2009 12:20:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Mikey

USA

etienne,

The best I've been able to get for old testament is to use KJV with strongs, with an available Hebrew text (I use aleppo) in another collumn.

If you are interested in morphology, I'd suggest you check out the MAG window in bibletime, which has morphology displayed while you hover over words in the multi-collumn display of texts. This method isn't direct, but does provide MOST of the morphology for the hebrew texts indirectly, and everything appears on screen (no tabs hiding the hebrew while you hover on the KJV.)
[Apr 25, 2009 12:49:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    just_mike_y [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wulfgang
Regular

With the new OSMHB module, this seems to be solved. Thank you very much!
[Apr 12, 2010 4:53:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread